(406)843.4270, PO Box 366, Virginia City MT 59755
My Voter Page
A Service of Montana Secretary of State Linda McCulloch
Find your polling place, track your absentee ballot, and view a sample ballot
|Sample Ballot - Madison Valley Fire District Trustee Election||Sample Ballot - Madison Valley Hopsital District Mill Levy Election|
Voter Registration: Registration Form
Please complete the Voter Registration Form and return it to the Madison County Elections Office.
How to vote by Absentee Ballot:
Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot, even if he or she is able to vote in person on Election Day. To vote absentee, you must first apply for an absentee ballot. Applications are available during a period beginning 75 days before Election Day and ending at noon on the day before the election. You may pick up an application at your local election office, or you may call the office and ask to have an application mailed to you. You can also download the application and mail or drop it off at the election office. Please call the Election Office if you have any questions. Absentee Ballot Application. Please click here for the Annual Absentee Address Confirmation form.
To vote in Montana, you must:
- Be registered as required by law
- Be 18 years old or older on or before the next election
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have lived in Montana and in the county in which you intend to vote for at least 30 days
You cannot vote if:
- You're a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution
- You've been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind
VOTER REGISTRATION CLOSES 30 DAYS PRIOR TO ELECTION DAY
13-2-304. Late registration -- late changes -- nonapplicability for school elections. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3), the following provisions apply:
- An elector may register or change the elector's voter registration information after the close of regular registration in 13-2-301 and vote in the election if the election administrator in the county where the elector resides receives and verifies the elector's voter registration information prior to the close of the polls on election day.
- Late registration is closed from noon to 5 p.m. on the day before the election.
- Except as provided in 13-2-514(2)(a), an elector who registers or changes the elector's voter information pursuant to this section may vote in the election only if the elector obtains the ballot from and returns it to the location designated by the county election administrator.
- If an elector has already been issued a ballot for the election, the elector may change the elector's voter registration information only if the original voted ballot has not been received at the county election office and if the original ballot that was issued is marked by the issuing county as void in the statewide voter registration system prior to the change.
- The provisions of subsection (1) do not apply with respect to an elector's registration to vote in a school election held pursuant to Title 20 [unless the county election administrator is conducting the school election and an election other than a school election on the same day]. (Bracketed language void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 64, Ch. 336, L. 2013.)
|School Election||First Tuesday after the first Monday in May, each year|
|State & County Primary||First Tuesday after the first Monday in June, even years|
|State & County General||First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, even years|
|City Primary||First Tuesday after the second Monday in September, odd years, if needed|
|City General||First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, odd years|